Summer is starting to plateau into heat filled days that seem to never end. I personally love the summer season, but even I could do without the sweltering days that last forever.
To combat the heat, I have been playing around with creating some yummy, filling, but light treats! I don't know about you guys, but I cannot stomach a really heavy meal when I am sweating through my clothing (gross!) I tend to stick to eating salads and lighter meals in the summer time; The only issue is that I never seem quite filled! Anyone else experience this problem?
For the first in our summer series, I bring you the adaptation of a recipe I found via Pinterest (our favorite!). You can check out the original recipe here.
What I love most about this recipe is the sheer amount of fresh veggies you get to put in to your rolls! It makes for a crisp, fresh bite. Plus, they are petite enough to chow down on as finger food, yet guilt free enough to eat as many handfuls as you'd like until your belly's content!
The differences between my adaptation and the original recipe come down to the avocado hummus. I added a TON of flavor in to my hummus. I really wanted the hummus to POP on my taste buds, and I personally found that the original recipe wasn't quite hitting those notes for me. Don't get me wrong, the original is super tasty, I just wanted something a bit more razzle dazzle!
Other than that one difference, everything else I kept the same. I loved the veggie pairings that I found in the original recipe and would love to experiment with different veggies in the future, maybe even adding a slice of mango or apple for a refreshingly tangy burst.
I love using my new/old mandolin slicer to create the perfectly even zucchini strips! Who else sees a zucchini lasagna recipe in my near future?
My favorite thing about this dish is how much avocado hummus you get from just this recipe! It is WAY too much for only spring rolls, but it is so tasty you can put it on crackers or incorporate it into your other favorite dishes as well! Plus, you can save a little money this week by not purchasing your regular container of hummus. Wins all around!
HUMMUS FILLED VEGGIE ROLLS
~ 1 jalapeño, chopped
~ 3 teaspoons ground cumin (optional)
~ salt & pepper to taste
~ 1-2 zucchini, thinly sliced
~ 1-2 carrots, sliced into sticks
~ 1/2 cucumber, sliced into sticks
~ 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
~ Cilantro sprigs
~ Sesame seeds (optional)
1) In a food processor (or blender), blend the beans, avocado, lemon juice & zest, and olive oil until smooth.
2) Add in your arugula, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper, cumin, and jalapeño slices. Blend until smooth and creamy. If working with a blender, you may need to add more olive oil to keep it moving.
1) On a dry surface, lay out a thin piece of zucchini.
2) Spread a spoonful of your avocado hummus evenly across the zucchini slice. Try not to put too much otherwise your hummus will overflow when you wrap!
3) Lay some of the assorted veggies near one end of your wrap. I found that using 1 slice per veggie was ideal.
4) Slowly roll your zucchini into a tight wrap, keeping all your veggies in place.
5) Finish with a toothpick to hold it together (and make it presentable for a summer party!).
6) Repeat the process for the rest of the rolls.
7) Sprinkle with sesame seeds & enjoy!
BONUS TIP: I love utilizing all I have in the kitchen, including my scraps. For lemons, I save both the lemon zest (for baking & tea making) as well as the seeds (for planting!) I have been attempting to grow a small lemon tree from organic lemon seeds (since I read that non-organic seeds most likely won't germinate). I haven't been successful yet, but you can check out the how-to from someone who actually has grown one right here!
+ + + + +
Want the PDF version of this for your own kitchen? Download here!
+ + + + +
Have you tried this recipe? Tell us about it below!
+ + + + +